[CT Birds] Chestnut Hill (Litchfield) Hawk Watch, Thursday (17 Sept) and Friday (18 Sept), and the weekend

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 18 21:43:58 EDT 2009

We had good numbers of broad-winged hawks at the Chestnut Hill Hawk Watch on Thursday, 17 Sept 2009. From 2:30 till 5 PM we had 1,110 broad-winged hawks. No hawks were counted in the AM from 10:30 AM till 11:30 AM. We took a long "lunch hour" from hawk watching from 11:30 AM till 2:30 PM. The only other hawk counted was one Cooper's hawk.

Today, Friday (18 September 2009) broad-winged hawk numbers were down, with just 285 being tallied. Most were seen between 11 AM and 2 PM. Three osprey, 5 sharp-shinned  hawks, and one Cooper's hawk were also counted. One ruby-throated hummingbird was spotted migrating in the 2 to 3 PM period.

We will be hawk watching on Saturday, 19 September 2009. On Sunday (20 September) there is a big fireman's parade in the afternoon in Litchfield. Traffic from the state road  just to the west of the hawk watch site is to be diverted by the hawk watch. We are planning on being at the hawk watch on Sunday, but the traffic may be a problem.

David W Babington
Washington, CT