[CT Birds] Bluff Point 9/20 flicker intergrade +

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 19 10:56:06 EDT 2009

>From Phil Rusch, Peter Copabianco, Ron Cochran, Edie Canning, & Glenn Williams:
9/20 (06:30-09:30 hrs) - Groton, Bluff Point -- RED-SHAFTED/YELLOW-SHAFTED FLICKER intergrade, TENNESSEE WARBLER, WILSON'S WARBLER, 2 NASHVILLE WARBLERS, BAY-BREASTED WARBLER, and 2 BROWN THRASHERS  250 warblers of 13 species

The flicker flew out at about 07:40 hrs as the morning flight was ending.  Its red underwings and undertail were amazingly bright and red.  There was a pinkish hue and we debated if it was as red as a red-shafted should be, but I think that it was darker than the red shown in Sibley when we looked later.  The bird landed on a distant utility pole and Peter got a poor shot of it, as his big lens was in the car.  Also noticeable was its very plain and gray face.  It was a female - no malar stripe, and the only yellow-shafted trait observable was a red nape crescent.  We assumed the latter makes it an intergrade but if anyone can add knowledge of intergrades to this, please do.  Phil had just mentioned wanting to see a red-shafted flicker minutes before the bird appeared.

Strangely, there were no vireos, tanagers, or orioles.  Dominant birds were flickers, parulas, and blackpolls with a good amount of gnatcatchers.  There was almost no wind at all at daybreak, which didn't help things.  List below:

Northern Parula 62
Blackpoll Warbler 51
American Redstart 15
Black-throated Blue Warbler 2
Palm Warbler 4
Magnolia Warbler 1
Black-and-white Warbler 5
Black-throated Green Warbler 2
Nashville Warbler 2
Wilson's Warbler 1
Tennessee Warbler 1
Yellow Warbler 1
Bay-breasted Warbler 1
unIDed warbler 100
Northern Flicker 50
Red-shafted/Yellow-shafted Flicker intergrade 1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 28
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 1
Merlin 1
Eastern Wood-Pewee 1