[CT Birds] Chestnut Hill (Litchfield) Hawk Watch, Sunday, 20 Sept 2009

John D Babington davewb07 at sbcglobal.net
Sun Sep 20 19:46:11 EDT 2009

Somewhat to my surprise broad-winged (BW's) hawks were up in numbers compared to Saturday, 19 Sept 2009. Most of the BW came through between 2 and 4 PM. A total of 237 BW's were seen for the day. Other hawks for the day: Osprey - 6; Bald eagle - 2; Sharp-shinned hawks - 10; Peregrine falcon - 1. Weather conditions for watching the hawks were not ideal, southeast wind and no cloud cover.

While we did have "decent" numbers of migrating hawks we will not be conducting the Chestnut Hill Hawk Watch after today. The regular weekly members of the Chestnut Hill Hawk Watch are suffering from hawk watch fatigue. If a sudden strong front appears this week (which appears unlikely) we may try to count hawks at the Chestnut Hill again.

David W Babington
Washington, CT