[CT Birds] Roosevelt Forest, Stratford

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 21 08:54:39 EDT 2009

I sure can, Gary.

I've been going to Roosevelt since I was 6 (I am now 24) and have never once seen anyone checking stickers.  As long as I can remember, that little booth/hut near the entrance has been abandoned...  and several years back the ranger station was abandoned.
Nonetheless, the website still says a sticker is required for all cars entering the property, and that use is restricted to Stratford residents and their guests.
I do not want to be the one whos says 'No problem, go on in.", and then have a ranger check stickers.  I would leave it up to the individual.  My gut says you will be fine.  I don't even have my town sticker in veiw, I keep it in my glove-box just in case.
The only time a ranger is present, that I am familiar with, is when they come to open and close/lock the gate.  (Which is actually pointless since there are other entrances near Beaver Dam and North Peter's lane).
Again, I would leave it up to the individual before saying one is in the clear.  I do know that in the last 2 years, a volunteer group i was breifly a part of called 'Friends of Roosevelt Forest' has taken an interest in keeping the park in it's best condition.  Which includes near trailblazes, and trailmaps at intersections, the parking lot, and online.
The volunteers and town seem to really be trying to get the park know as a 'sanctuary', as in years past it has been highly neglected.... which (unfortunately) I can attest to when I was a rowdy teen.
If one is skeptical, I'm sure a local Stratford birder would have no problem joining one for a hike... including myself.
Since it came up, it is worth mentioning that Roosevelt will be closed from 3-7pm on Friday, Sept. 25th for police training.
-Brian Webster-