[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club October Schedule

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Mon Sep 21 14:20:37 EDT 2009

Folks,

Here is the schedule for the New Haven Bird Club's October activities.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, Publicity Director

Indoor Meeting:

Thursday, October 8 — Tom Andersen.  What Is Long Island Sound For?
7:30 PM. Refreshments and social half-hour at 7:00 PM.  The Jones
Auditorium of the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station, 123
Huntington St., New Haven, CT. Free and open to the public.
For more information: www.newhavenbirdclub.org or call 203.488.3876.
What would Connecticut be like without the Sound? For one, “certainly
less birdy.”  This evening’s speaker reminds us how important the
Sound has been in so many aspects of our lives. Tom will summarize
what the Sound was like before the Europeans arrived, how the last
four centuries have led us to the current bad environmental
situation, and what is being done to fix it. An expert on the Sound,
Tom is an exceptional environmental reporter who has written
extensively about it and about the environmental issues relating to
it.  His book, This Fine Piece of Water: An Environmental History of
Long Island Sound, was published by Yale to great reviews and he has
won numerous awards for covering environmental issues in a number of
newspapers, including the NY Times. Tom will have a few copies of his
book available for sale and he will sign copies following his
presentation.

Field Trips:

First Wednesday Walk : Hammonasset State Park, Madison. Free and open
to the public.
Wednesday, October 7, 8:00 AM
Join us on this mid-week trip as we explore this birding hotspot for
fall migrants. The varied habitat attracts shorebirds, waterfowl,
raptors, and songbirds. Take I-95 Exit 62, meet at park entrance.
Contact—Kris Johnson: 203.288.3087 or krisjohnson99 at snet.net

THE BIG SIT!  Sunday, October 11. Free and open to the public.
The object is to record as many species of birds as possible in a
single day from one 17-foot diameter circle.  The circles for the
event are located strategically at a number of birding hot spots
throughout the state.  Join other birders in one of these circles or
create your own. For further information, go to the Birders' Digest
website, <birdwatchersdigest.com> ,  or contact John Triana at 203
758-7203 or jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net.

Hammonasset State Park, Madison. Free and open to the public.
Saturday, October 17, 8:00 AM.
Visit one of Connecticut's best fall birding spots, where the
abundance of some migrants and sightings of less common species can
make for a truly memorable trip. The walking is easy, as it is on
level ground.  Meet at the park entrance (I-95 to exit 62 and follow
the connector to the park).  Leader: Flo McBride: 203 288-6777 or
jmcbride at yale.edu.

Beacon Cap, Bethany.  Sunday, October 18, 8:00 AM. Free and open to
the public. Join us to look for fall migrants on the Naugatuck Trail
in Bethany. We’ll hike up to a glacial erratic outcropping perched at
the top of the ridge. Even if there aren’t a lot of birds, we’ll get
to see some fabulous autumn views.  Wear hiking boots as the trail is
steep and strenuous in places. Meet at the far eastern trailhead for
the Naugatuck Trail on Rte. 42 in Bethany. This is on the north side
of road, about 1.25 miles west of junction of Rtes. 42 and 63. Leader—
John Triana: 203.758.7203, jtriana1 at sbcglobal.net.

Fargeorge Wildlife Preserve, Quinnipiac River, New Haven, CT.
Saturday, Oct 31, 8:00 AM.  Free and open to the public.  This New
Haven Land Trust property is always full of surprises. It is a good
place to see raptors, shorebirds, and waterfowl. Good sightings on
past trips include Bald Eagle and American Woodcock.  Directions: Go
South on Quinnipiac Ave. from Rte. 80 to parking lot adjacent to
railroad underpass.  Leader: Mike Horn: 203-288-1891 or mfhorn at att.net.