[CT Birds] Stratford STILT SANDPIPER

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 23 16:56:01 EDT 2009

>From Frank Mantlik
9/23 Stratford,  Long Beach (Oak Bluff Ave.), 10am - 3 juvenile STILT SANDPIPERS in marsh channel at low tide.
Coastal Access site, Main St., behind Deluca ball field, 11:30am - 6 STILT SANDPIPERS with 3 Lesser Yellowlegs, as tide coming in.  I suspect this was a different group than the earlier three.
This is the most Stilt Sandpipers I've seen in CT since back in the mid - late 1970's, when numbers used to be annual in a large marshy pool at Great Meadows, Stratford, before it was drained and filled.  (This area is roughly now where the restored marsh is along the RR track trail).  Oh do I wish there was such a large shallow pool here again (a la Jamaica Bay).
Elsewhere today,Stratford Point - PEREGRINE FALCON, Am. Kestrel."Warehouse" Pond - 20 Green-winged Teal.Milford Point - Peregrine Falcon, 6 Am. Oystercatchers, 3 Yellow-crowned Night herons.