[CT Birds] day warbler migration?

Carrier Graphics carriergraphics at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 24 12:33:31 EDT 2009

Today, I went up to Johnnycake Mt. Burlington to see if any late  BW hawks were flying. Was there from 9 to 11:30 and saw only one BW. But, I did observe something I had never seen before.
From the ridge to my east, occasionally a Warbler would pop up from the tree tops and fly up heading due west. These birds were not just crossing over the open field to the other side, but were continually gaining elevation with some going up out of  sight into the sky still heading west. Our elevation here is over 1,000 feet, and I would assume these birds gained another 1,000 feet before I lost sight of them. I saw this happen about four times.
To me, I felt these birds were doing a true migration during the day! We all know most passerines migrate during the night, but has it ever been seen that Warblers might just do some migration during the day hours?

 Would be interested in hearing any comment to this……..

Paul Carrier