[CT Birds] McKenzie Reservoir

John M. Oshlick joshlic at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 24 17:26:03 EDT 2009

I drove by the McKenzie Reservoir in Wallingford today. I was surprised to see that it had been drained! This seems to have created a new habitat and I saw 2 pectorals, a spotted, and several least sandpipers on the newly created mudflat. I do not know when this stated and how long it will last but for now it may have created a new shorebird habitat (it is too bad I didn't notice this earlier as the shorebird migration is almost over). There is still some water in the reservoir and many geese were still present so hopefully we will still have a good habitat for the fall goose migration.

- John Oshlick