[CT Birds] Quaker Ridge - Late Falcons +

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Thu Sep 24 20:03:18 EDT 2009

Hi All,

A nice break in the southerly airflow produced a good movement today with 556 raptors total. Highlights included 3 Bald Eagles in one binocular view, a large Peregrine being buzzed by a small Merlin (female and male of each species I'd guess) and a late falcon push that produced 27 American Kestrels, 11 Merlins and an unidentified falcon in the last hour or so (most low over the watch). One hour had 276 Broad-wings but the heavy cloud seemed to bring that flow to a stop. Tomorrow could be good both on site and in the air over Quaker if the Braod-wingeds get going again.

Couple of quick questions for other hawk watchers. Anyone else having a mega Merlin year like us? Also anyone note the lack of Monarchs this year. This is the first day where we have had anything like numbers of them.

Luke Tiller, Wilton