[CT Birds] Fw: day migration

David Provencher davidprovencher at sbcglobal.net
Thu Sep 24 22:51:31 EDT 2009

Indeed the birds undertaking morning flight are believed to be (and
empirical evidence such as your observation) continuing their push towards
their ultimate migratory destination rather than seeking foraging habitat.
At Bluff Point the reserve could easily feed many of the birds that leave
but few stay, rather they fly northward away from the park to move around
the river/water barrier and push westward along the CT coast. I have watched
many tens of thousands of birds do this over the years and during this
movement you very rarely see determined feeding occur. The period that the
movement occurs peaks between 0700 and 0800 but many birds move earlier than
that and some dribble up and out of Bluff as late as 1000 or later. I really
have never gotten the impression that the birds really feed much at all
before jumping out on morning flight but rather have simply rested for an
hour or two. I have on many occasions in the past looked for these birds in
the first good foraging habitat they might encounter and I have never found
any numbers to suggest the host that left Bluff Point, with the exception of
Palm Warblers perhaps.

Dave Provencher

Naturally New England

"Hi Dave

May I ask another question that might be a part of what I saw. These birds
were not just leap frogging from one point to another, they were seen to be
putting up from their high point of trees at 1,000 feet and continually
flying up to a height of another 1,000 plus feet going due west over very
suitable feeding areas of forest and trees below. This leads me to believe
their intentions were to make progress on their migration south. Maybe at
the time of 9 to 11, we can assume these birds after putting down at dawn
have fed enough to give them enough energy to continue their migration, yes?

Sorry Dave, but I seem to have a want to know more about what I saw, and I
believe you are surely the one to ask........

Thanks, Paul"