[CT Birds] East Shore Hawk watch

Neil Currie nwcurrie23 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 26 08:23:54 EDT 2009

9/25 - East Shore Park, New Haven

To add my 2 cents worth (actually about 14 cents worth when compared to the Lighthouse count) to a huge flight of hawks:
Sharpshins - 178
Broadwings - 197
Cooper's Hawks - 15
N. Harriers - 3
Redtails - 2
Peregrines - 2
Turkey Vultures -8
Osprey - 1,
American kestrel - 6           Totals:  412

Stong northerly winds obviously kept most of the hawks the two miles to the south at LIghthouse. East Shore remains for me an also great place to watch for migrating hawks. In addition to the totals the differences for some of the species is interesting. For example I saw no Bald Eagles and only one Osprey.     Neil Currie