[CT Birds] Birding doesn't end at sundown

DEIRDRE MURTHA sdmurtha at sbcglobal.net
Sat Sep 26 11:18:22 EDT 2009

An interesting observation last night while an astronomically-minded friend was visiting. While observing the moon through his telescope at about 9 pm, he, my son, and myself observed small birds (I presume warblers) flying across the moons face. We counted five in less than three minutes. None of us had to wait more than half a minute to see this. I have seen this once before and heard of another astronomy buff who has as well. When you consider how small a fraction of the sky the moon takes up, it makes you wonder how thick the sky overhead must be with warblers! Has anyone else seen this? We were using an astronomical telescope, but I would imagine a birding scope would work as well. The next week or so, as the moon waxes to full, would be a great time to check it out. My son and I will probably do a more systematic study of this and try to make some extrapolations from it.
-Sean and Brendan Murtha, Norwalk