[CT Birds] Long Beach, Stratford- Nelson's Sparrow plus

Chasbarnard at aol.com Chasbarnard at aol.com
Sat Sep 26 16:34:05 EDT 2009

Long Beach, Stratford
American Golden-Plover (1)
Nelson's Sparrow  (2)
The Nelson's Sparrows were way down beyond the 2 cedar trees which grow on
the dune. The birds were on the marsh side, feeding in the Spartina
alterniflora.  It required "spishing to bring them up into view.
An interesting sidelight: Near the small parking lot by the truck road into
 the McKinney NWR on Long Beach Boulevard, a group of American Crows were
chasing  on odd crow, which I am not 100% sure was another American Crow That
bird was  American Crow like, but the primaries and secondaries on both
wing surfaces were  pure white, with the exception of a bit of black along the
main feather  shafts.  The coverts were black, as was the body and head.
I think that it was probably a partially albinistic or leucistic  American
Crow, but the other crows were harassing it so badly that I thought at  the
time that it may have been  some kind of escaped corvid of a different
species entirely.
The white-winged bird finally took off in another direction and escaped
further harassment.
Charlie Barnard