[CT Birds] Sandy Pt. Plus

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Sep 28 16:16:11 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

Just some information to reassure you that you are not missing
anything while lounging at the hawk watches

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

West Haven Sandy Pt. 8:15 to 9:15

The peeps were at the very tip, the Sanderling were roosting on the
breakwater

Mute Swan	26
Mallard	1
Red-throated Loon	1
Double-crested Cormorant	65
Great Egret	2
Snowy Egret	2
Black-bellied Plover	1
Sanderling	32
Semipalmated Sandpiper	1
Least Sandpiper	3
Laughing Gull	2
Ring-billed Gull	162/8
Herring Gull	68/9
Great Black-backed Gull	7

Milford, Merwin Pt.
There was some sort of fish activity off mourning side, that was
where all the laughing gulls were (feeding)

Double-crested Cormorant	21
Great Blue Heron	1
Laughing Gull	20/1
Ring-billed Gull	9
Herring Gull	24/4
Great Black-backed Gull	6/1

Milford, Silver Sands St. Pk.
I mad a quick stop, noting of interest  The Savannah Sparrows were
around but not in numbers yet.
I stopped at the "Willow Pond" (at the bottom of the entrance hill)
and did a 15 min. little sit (Squat?)

The blackbird was a challenge. it was skulking about the bases of the
bushes on the left. It took 3 minutes to get a clear look. In the
mean time Black Rail flashed through my head.

Wild Turkey	1
Mourning Dove	1
Eastern Phoebe	4
Gray Catbird	1