[CT Birds] Glastonbury Meadows

Bill Asteriades Asterbunch at cox.net
Tue Sep 29 22:35:45 EDT 2009

With regard to Glastonbury Meadows (which, as the name suggests, is in the Town of Glastonbury), virtually all of the land (700+ acres) is privately owned by farmers and the Glastonbury Sportsman Association.  Town residents and local birders walk certain parts of the property, which has not created a problem with the land owners.  It is used for hunting so there is limited birding in the Fall and Winter (Sundays only but certain Sundays are off-limits due to field trials and other events).  To access the Meadows, park behind Academy School at 2155 Main Street, near the Skateboard Park and Waste Treatment Plant.  Walk towards the Waste Treatment Plan (left side of the plant) and you will see a short trail leading to the river.  Follow this trail and then take a left at the river on another trail.  Follow for about 1/4 mile and you will be in the Meadows.  Cross the grass field to the main dirt road.  You can take a left to bird the pond or right to bird the Meadows.  Please stay on or near the main dirt road and it would be best to not proceed more than 3/4 mile or so down this road (people walk their dogs on this road so birders should be okay).  The habitat is more diverse than at Rocky Hill/Wethersfield meadows (which are directly across the river), with extensive tracts of weedy agricultural fields and brushy borders that attract impressive numbers and diversity of sparrows and other songbirds during migration.

 Bill Asteriades and Andrew Dasinger