[CT Birds] Bluff Blackpoll Bonanza and Cape May

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Sep 30 10:25:35 EDT 2009

John Philip and I birded Bluff Point in Groton this morning. Conditions for the northwest corner (sometimes referred to as the hot corner) were iffy last night but we gave it a shot anyway. Well the winds were due west during the morning flight window so the birds were jumping straight westward into the wind instead of funneling to the NW corner. Movement was pretty heavy once it started and we decided to walk the loop instead. 11 species of warbler were found among roughly 800 individuals. It turned into a remarkable Blackpoll show. They were everywhere with one pure flock of over a hundred. I haven't ever seen this quite to this degree before. In the limited time we had the following birds;

Common Nighthawk (1)
Red-eyed Vireo (1) remarkable that there was only one
Tree Swallows (8 at least dribbling through)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2)
Nashville Warbler (2)
Northern Parula (7)
Magnolia Warbler (1)
CAPE MAY WARBLER (1 bright male)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (8)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (10)
Palm Warbler (4)
Bay-breasted Warbler (1)
Blackpoll Warbler (600+)
Black-and-white Warbler (2)
American Redstart (1) This many warblers and only 1 Redstart is very surprising
Unidentified warblers (150+)

Very interestingly there were no Tanagers, Grosbeaks, Orioles, or Bobolinks.

From John Philip and Dave Provencher:
9/30/09 - Groton, Bluff Point - CAPE MAY WARBLER (1 bright male), BAY-BREASTED WARBLER (1), 800 warblers of which over 600 were Blackpolls.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.