[CT Birds] Stratford GOLDEN PLOVERS, etc.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Sep 30 21:31:16 EDT 2009

Afterwork today 9/30 I birded the Stratford shoreline and had the following highlights:
Sikorsky Airport:  6 AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVERS (all Juv.) resting/preening in the grass along the runway straight out from the small observation pulloff.
Short Beach Park:  274 LAUGHING GULLS (mostly adults) resting on a sandbar.  By far the most I've seen around in about a month.  I suspect they're staging here before winging south in the next day or two.  Also, 250 SANDERLINGS, 5 BRANT, 300+ DC CORMORANTS (on breakwater).
Deluca Ballfield, Main St. (weedy area behind):  1 LINCOLN'S SPARROW