[CT Birds] Migartion window tonight

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Thu Oct 1 15:28:52 EDT 2009

Guessing when migrants move into CT and when to expect a good morning is half science and half black magic. Having said that I'm intrigued by the weather forecast for tonight with northerly winds throughout the darkness hours sandwiched between cloudy skies and wrong winds. It may afford a nice morning tomorrow with numbers of new birds around or it may not, much depends upon the accuracy of the forecast. A slight deviation will likely have a significant negative impact for CT.  While the passage of a strong cold front with resulting cold clear skies following typically produces the largest movement, sometimes brief windows such as tonight can produce locally very good numbers and good species. If one believes the weather forecast (if it's on the internet it must be true n'est-ce pas?) the next big movement nights will be Sunday night and Monday night.

Passing this on from John Philip and Mary Gardner who walked Bluff Point in Groton around 2:30 this afternoon;

"After a slow but steady start along the northern leg of the trip through the hot corner, we ran into a huge mixed flock coming back on the south leg, starting with the grassy clearing ringed by young birches and finally getting lost in the thicket of birches, cherries and bittersweet. The mixed flock was so big and moving so quickly that I id'd maybe 3 out of (every) 150-200 birds (If you've experienced this phenomena at Bluff or a mixed flock in the tropics you know how fast these birds can get past you - DFP comment), but here's what I know I saw:

Blackpolls (numerous)
Bt blues (6-7)
Bt green (2)
Magnolia (1)