[CT Birds] Bluff Point 1,000 warblers with 2 CT Warblers and Chat

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Fri Oct 2 11:31:58 EDT 2009

Bluff Point had a good movement this morning with well over 1,000 warblers. 16 species of warbler were identified with Blackpoll being by far the winner once again. Many birds stayed in the northwest corner (which is not the norm believe me) and it was as they say "rocking" with birds. Blackpolls were everywhere. At one point between 150 and 200 warblers rocketed into a tree in response to my pishing. In almost 20 years of birding I have never had such a virulent response to pishing. It was Hitchcosksonian as the tree literally danced with warblers jumping and chipping. I was grinning like a pillar box (brits will get that). Some days it really pays to crawl out of bed. The corner was still rocking when I left at 9:30. The highlights;

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1)
E. Phoebe (6)
Blue-headed Vireo (1)
Red-eyed Vireo (5)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (4)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (3)
Catharus Thrush sp (1)
Brown Thrasher (1)
Tennessee Warbler (2)
Nashville Warbler (5)
Northern Parula (20)
Magnolia Warbler (2)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (25)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (50+)
Black-throated Green Warbler (30)
Blackburnian Warbler (2)
Pine Warbler (1)
Palm Warbler (6)
Blackpoll Warbler (750+)
Black-and-white Warbler (1)
American Redstart (5)
Wilson's Warbler (1)
Un-identified warbler sp (250+)
Scarlet Tanager (3)
Rose-breasted Grosbeak (1)

From Dave Provencher and John Philip;
10/02/09 - Groton, Bluff Point reserve - Over 1,000 warblers, mainly Blackpolls. Also 2 CONNECTICUT WARBLERS and 1 YELLOW-BREASTED CHAT.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.