[CT Birds] On This Day (10/4)

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sun Oct 4 07:40:43 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

First, a comment about Scoters.
This is the time of year they are migrating and I have many records
of them in large number and on inland reservoirs. So many in fact
that they would be distracting. Yet, they are likely of interest.
Suffice  to say, if you want to look for scoters inland now is the
time. If you want specific information about a specific reservoir
contact me. So, except for some unusual large numbers (by today's
standards) they will not be mentioned.

Snow Geese
They are also migrating this month and the large numbers reported are
from fly-bys not birds on the ground.

something new: the first record will now be the oldest record for the

1890	Acadian Sharp-tailed Sparrow	Portland
1945	Short-eared Owl	East Windsor Hill
1953	Scarlet Tanager	Guilford
1967	(10/4 to 30)Black-throated Gray Warbler	Waterford
1972	Painted Bunting	Fairfield
1985	Gull-billed Tern	Madison, Hammonasset St. Pk.
1986	Caspian Tern	Milford, Miilford Pt.
1991	6000 Blue Jay	New Haven, Lighthouse Pk.
1992	Ruby-throated Hummingbird	Groton
1994	Lapland Longspur	Westport, Sherwood Is. St. Pk.
1995	Lapland Longspur	Mansfield, Storrs
1997	Golden-winged Warbler	Groton, Bluff Pt.
1997	Swainson's Hawk	New Haven, Lighthouse Pk.
1997	Western Tanager	Groton Bluff Pt.
2000	Fox Sparrow	Litchfield, White Memorial
2000	1500 Yellow-rumped Warbler	Westbrook

1988	200 Snow Goose	Greenwich
1990	500 Snow Goose	Milford, Milford Pt.
1990	250 Snow Goose	Pawcatuck
2000	500 Snow Goose	Old Lyme, Griswold Pt.
2000	300	Snow Goose	Guilford