[CT Birds] UConn Lot W dickcissel etc

Chris Elphick elphick at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 4 12:35:44 EDT 2009

>From Chris Elphick (with Phil Rusch):

10/04/09 - Storrs, UConn, Lot W - 1 dickcissel continues

The dickcissel was very cooperative this morning, giving great views for 15-20 mins along the edge of the corn field nearest to the Lot W pond (look for the big flock of savannah & chipping sparrows).  After looking at Steve Morytko's photos in detail last night, I think I was wrong to call it as a different bird from the one he had earlier in the week.

Other notable migrants included: eastern phoebe (5), red-eyed (1) and blue-headed (1) vireo, house wren (5), Wilson's (1), Nashville (1), myrtle (6), western palm (8), yellow palm (6), black-throated green (3), blackpoll (3) warblers, chipping (70), savannah (85), song (85) sparrows, indigo bunting (2), scarlet tanager (1), bobolink (1).

Chris Elphick

Storrs, CT

elphick at sbcglobal.net