[CT Birds] 4000+ Warblers Bluff Point

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Mon Oct 5 13:48:07 EDT 2009

John Philip, Hank Golet, Paul Hicks, Bob MacDonnell, myself, and others witnessed a big push of migrants move through Bluff Point today. Conservative estimate of 4,000+ were mostly Yellow-rumped Warblers but a total of 15 species were noted. Many birds were flying quite high and the passage was quite heavy so many birds got passed us without even being looked at, not unusual for the morning flight a t Bluff. For Hank and I the highlight of the day was a Fisher which Hank spotted in the undergrowth. We "tree'd" it and were treated to superb close views until it decided we were no threat and climbed down. The Fisher's climbing ability is quite impressive, particularly as it effortlessly headed dead straight down the tree. The bird highlights;

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1)
E. Wood-Pewee (5 or 6)
E. Phoebe (15+)
Yellow-throated Vireo (1)
Blue-headed Vireo (5)
Red-eyed Vireo (10+)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (50+)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (25+)
Catharus Thrush sp (2)
American Pipit (1)
Tennessee Warbler (2)
Nashville Warbler (6)
Northern Parula (50+)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (1)
Magnolia Warbler (6-8)
Cape May Warbler (2)
Black-throated Blue Warbler (20+)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1,000+)
Black-throated Green Warbler (25+)
Prairie Warbler (1)
Palm Warbler (10+)
Blackpoll Warbler (50+)
"Bay-poll" Warbler (250+)
Black-and-white Warbler (3)
American Redstart (10)
Common Yellowthroat (6)
Unidentified warblers (approx. 3,000)
Scarlet Tanager (10+)
E. Towhee (4)
Chipping Sparrow (10)
Bobolink (1)

From John Philip, Hank Golet, Bob MacDonnell, Paul Hicks, and Dave Provencher:
10/05/09 - Groton Bluff Point Coastal Reserve - 4,000+ warblers of 15 species. 2 Cape May Warblers and big Yellow-rumped Movement. Also 1 Fisher

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.