[CT Birds] Stratford yard/woods

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 5 17:22:49 EDT 2009

10/5, Stratford yard/woods/powerline cut (9:00a-130p)-
When I first came outsife this morning I noticed several warblers and other passerines moving overhead, coming from the W/NW.  Many of them hit the leading edge of my woods and some stayed, some moved through.  Throw in some migrating hawks and it was a rather productive few hours.  45 species total.  Black-throated Blues were the most numerous.
The highlights (at least I think so) were 2 Winter wrens and a tall, handsome, brown haired juvenile White-crowned sparrow.
(2) Winter Wrens
(2) Carolina Wrens
(6) Eastern Phoebes
(1) Eastern Wood-Pewee
(1) Catharus thrush sp (small and rather gray)
(10+) Black-throated Blue Warblers (mostly adults, 3 juv.)
(1) Black-throated Green Warbler
(2) Black-and-white Warblers
(1) Northern Parula
(5) Yellow-rumped Warblers
(1) Ovenbird
(3) Restarts
(6) Yellowthroats
(21) unidentified warblers (18 flying by overhead)
(4) Ruby-crowned Kinglets
(2) Golden-crowned Kinglets
(2) Blue-headed Vireos
(1) Yellow-throated Vireo
(1) Indigo Bunting (female)
(1) Eastern Towhee
(2) Song Sparrows
(1) Swamp Sparrow
(5) Savannah Sparrows
(24+) White-throated Sparrows
(1) White-crowned Sparrow (juv.)
(2) American Kestrels
(1) Merlin (very dark)
(8) Cooper's Hawks (6 streaming together, plus 2 individuals)
(5) Sharp-shinned Hawks
(1) Broad-winged Hawk
(2) Osprey
Non migrating raptors:
(2) Red-tailed Hawks (both adults, one very pale)
(1) Turkey Vulture
(1) Cooper's Hawk (juv.)
(2) Red-shouldered Hawk (vocal... maybe the same loud mouth that was at Boothe all day yesterday)
(1) Osprey
I spent most of the time hanging out in the leading edges of the woods checking the songbirds funneling in, and standing in the middle of the powerline cut IDing many sparrows and watching the hawks stream by.  Great day to be out birding.. especially when there are lots of birds!
-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com