[CT Birds] Guilford and Hammo

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Mon Oct 5 18:53:40 EDT 2009

Hi Folks

On the way to Hammonasset I stopped at Guilford, Shell Beach Rd. to
Sachem's Head Rd. Tree Swallows were flying overhead at about 10
birds a min. A flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers were flying in from
the sound.  Lots of little bird activity

American Black Duck	9
Mallard	1
Double-crested Cormorant	2
Snowy Egret	17
Black-crowned Night-Heron	10
Killdeer	3
Semipalmated Plover	1
Greater Yellowlegs	45
Lesser Yellowlegs	5
Laughing Gull	1
Tree Swallow	100

Madison, Hammonasset St. Pk.

Off shore continues to be empty. Again, more swallows about and
plenty of Yellow-rumped Warblers but not extraordinarily abundant.
there was one large flock of Killdeer in the West beach parking lot
which was rather odd.  The Tricolored Heron was another surprise.

Mute Swan	2
American Black Duck	22
Mallard	2
Pied-billed Grebe	1
Double-crested Cormorant	160
American Bittern	1
Great Blue Heron	1
Great Egret	12
Snowy Egret	1
Tricolored Heron	1
Killdeer	42
Black-bellied Plover	8
Dunlin	10
Laughing Gull	1
Ring-billed Gull	32/3
Herring Gull	77/11
Great Black-backed Gull	5/1
Turkey Vulture	2
Red-tailed Hawk	1
Northern Harrier	1
American Kestrel	2
Tree Swallow 300

At Noon I was at Griswold Pt. looking for shorebirds.
I was planing to sit out there for an hour, but could manage only 20
No birds were flying off shore, no shorebirds about.
there were about 20 Herring Gulls and 20 Double-crested Cormorant and
a few Great Egrets.

Dennis Varza