[CT Birds] LHP 10/5 lotta stuff

greg hanisek ctgregh at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 5 22:46:26 EDT 2009

>From Greg Hanisek

10/5 New Haven, Lighthouse Point hawk watch - 671 raptors including 355 SS, 119 AK, 97 COOP, 25 OSP, 25 MER, 14 NH, 10 BW, 6 BE (all i), 5 PER

Tremendous morning flight, a phenomenom we don't see often in this magnitude at this site: c 1600 warblers (almost all Yellow-rumped and Palm based call notes but almost no sight IDs as they streamed over); both species were scattered around the site throughout the day; only other sps definitely noted were N Parula and Blackpoll; Golden-crowned Kinglets in the mix but couldn't put a number on them.

Also, 1 C. Loon, 1 AM GOLDEN PLOVER, 4 Ruby-throated Hummingbirds, 5 Chimney Swifts, 3 YELOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS, 1200 Tree Swallows, 1000 Blue Jays, 3 AMERICAN PIPITS, 1800 Cedar Waxwings, 4 DICKCISSELS, 100+ Savannah Sparrows, 5 BOBOLINKS

Thanks for lots of help: Tony Tortora, Richard English, Steve Mayo, Dori Sosensky, Bill Banks, Frank Gallo, Nick Bonomo, Julian Hough,  Don Morgan, Dana Campbell, Randy Domina, Steve Spector, Paul Roberts, John Oshlick, Kris Johnson, Judy Moore, Richard Payne and others I forgot or didn't get to meet amid all the excitement