[CT Birds] Hooded Warbler - Old Lyme 10/5

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Tue Oct 6 12:52:35 EDT 2009

Glenn it may well be that the bird was exhausted from the migration and was seeking what shelter and perch it could find. As you well know, migrant birds that find themselves out at sea with no land in sight will not only land on boats but will sometimes enter the cabin and perch on people. When I used to work nights at Millstone Station I would walk outside to view the nocturnal migrants pass over the station. One night, about 3am, I found a female Black-throated Blue Warbler in the grass, It was so exhausted it barely awakened when I picked it up. Then it simply recomposed itself and went back to sleep. It didn't even reopen its eyes when I put it in a safe place, it just recomposed itself yet again and continued sleeping. The physiological toll of migration can be staggering for these birds and my bet is that Hooded Warbler just wanted a safe place to sleep the sleep of the dead, so-to-speak.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.