[CT Birds] Bluff Point, 10-6-09

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Tue Oct 6 18:17:50 EDT 2009

Because of the terrific action reported Monday at Bluff Point,  I belately
decided to take a ride down there and see if anything was left.   I arrived
at about 11:30 and headed south from the hot corner, taking the trail  to
the left that goes through lots of aspens.  I immediately found 1  Swainson's
Thrush and hundreds of Yellow-Rumps dripping from nearly every  tree.
However, at first I saw very little else.  After stopping to  talk to someone for
a few minutes, still surrounded by YRWA, I noticed there  were a few other
birds mixed in.  Then mostly other birds - I was in the  middle of a nice
mixed flock.   I really have no idea how many birds,  but there were multiples
of quite a few different species, some I don't often  find in Ct.

Swainson's  Thrush           1
Golden-crowned Kinglet  several
Ruby-crowned  Kinglet     several
Blue-headed  Vireo           2 or  more
Red-eyed  Vireo                1
Yellow-rumped Warbler  100's
Palm  Warbler                   several
Common Yellow-throat     several
American  Redstart           2
Pine  Warbler                   1
Black-throated Green Warbler     several
Northern  Parula              2  or more
Chestnut-sided Warbler   1
Blackpoll  Warbler             several
Tennessee  Warbler         1 I'm sure of,  probably more
Nashville  Warbler           3 or  more
Connecticut Warbler       at  least 2, probably more.

not the biggest list I've ever had, but much more than I  expected.

Don Morgan
Coventry