[CT Birds] Small wave w/ Tennessee Warbler

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 6 20:27:19 EDT 2009

10/6, Stratford yard.woods (9:00a)-
I decided to take a peak in a productive area that was pretty active during a great day yesterday.  Slower today, but still some migrants.
(1) Tennesse Warbler (1st fall w/mostly white underparts)
(2) Magnolia Warblers (young male and a still very dark adult)
(1) Black-and-white Warbler (creamy 1st fall female)
(3) Black-throated Blue Warblers (2 adults, one 1st year female)
(1) Chestnut-sided Warbler (fall adult)
(2) Yellowthroats (both 1st fall males)
(8) Yellow-rumped Warblers
(4) Golden-crowned Kinglets
(1) Blue-headed Vireo
(1) Winter Wren (surely one of the 2 from yesterday... on the same brush pile)
(5) White-throated Sparrows
(2) Song sparrows, one with a VERY bright white throat...  the variation in birds sitting right next to one another other is amazing to me.
Other than a couple Sharpies and a single Osprey, I didn't see any migrant hawks flying by over the hill.  The resident Red-tails and a few Vultures enjoyed the wind and thermals, though.
-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT