[CT Birds] Predicting migration/Morning Flight conditions

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Oct 7 11:18:50 EDT 2009

I just took a look at the forecast for tonight and tomorrow night. Conditions tonight will be windy with NW winds. In my experience that means that a decent movement will probably occur tonight. However the breezy conditions will make birding tomorrow more difficult. Indeed breezy mornings historically are very frustrating at Bluff Point in Groton with birds flying high overhead and the trees dancing so much it is hard to find the migrants. So I'm not saying don't go but I am saying the conditions are likely to be far from optimal for observing. If the forecast for Thursday night is accurate the winds will have backed to west south west. This should result in a reduced movement and Bluff Point in particular will have many fewer birds on Friday morning. So my best guess right now is a decent but difficult to observe movement tonight/tomorrow morning and a significantly reduced movement Thursday night/Friday morning. And WSW winds are very bad for seeing Morning Flight at Bluff. If the forecast changes I'll revise my prediction.

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.