[CT Birds] Long Island Sound License Plate Funds Fully Restored & Dogwood Trees Response

COMINS, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Wed Oct 7 13:58:43 EDT 2009

Since a lot of people called their legislators on this issue and have been asking for an update, I wanted to let folks know that the funds for the Long Island Sound License Plate have been fully preserved, both the $600,000 plus balance currently in the account, and any funds collected in the future.  Thank you to Attorney General Blumenthal for leading the charge on this, to the Connecticut Fund for the Environment for providing the legal argument, to you for contacting your legislators (which really does make a difference) and to the legislature for restoring these funds.

Unfortunately, the funds for the Wildlife Conservation License Plate and other conservation-related plates, as well as the migratory bird stamp funds have not yet been restored.  We are working on that right now so stay tuned for further updates and alerts.  It's not over yet!

Thank you!

PS  Regarding Chris Lovell's post.  Dogwoods of all kinds are a favorite of birds, but especially the flowering dogwoods (Cornus florida) because of their fatty fruit that coincides with migration timing.  Pagoda dogwoods (Cornus alternifolia) are also nice and their fruit can persist into migration time.  Some of my other favorite fall-fruiting trees also include magnolias, star magnolia (Magnolia stellata), Virginia (swamp or sweetbay) magnolia (Magnolia virginiana) and Cucumber Tree (Magnolia acuminate) in particular.  All can be spectacular migrant magnets.  Star Magnolias aren't native to the US, Cucumber Trees are native to as close as western NY and whether or not virginiana is native to CT is a matter of debate, but they are native to Long Island, so very close.  Star Magnolias have a long history in cultivation and I have not heard of reports of them being invasive at all.  The specimens at the bent are always hopping with birds this time of year.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation
Audubon Connecticut
pcomins at audubon.org