[CT Birds] NHBC First Wednesday Walk 10/7 45 SPECIES

Kris Johnson krisjohnson99 at snet.net
Wed Oct 7 14:59:21 EDT 2009

Even in the rain 13 participants came out to join in the NHBC First Wednesday walk at Hammonasset. The rain stopped about 9:45 although it was extremely windy all morning.  We had 45 species but didn't see either the tricolored heron or Nelson's sparrow that had been reported previously.  There were more than a thousand tree swallows gathering and swirling in the wind.  We had a nice comparison of size with Black-bellied, semipalmated plovers and killdeer all in the field near the Nature Center.  At the end of the walk beyond West Beach parking, Randy Domina (our leader) pointed out a COMMON SNIPE in the grassy field.
    The next NHBC First Wednesday walk will be on 11/4/09 on Proto Drive in East Haven.  Steve Broker will lead the walk. Directions will be posted closer to the walk date.
Kris Johnson

For Roy
    From Randy Domina and NHBC First Wednesday Walk
    10/7/09 Madison, Hammonasset SP
    COMMON SNIPE in grassy field beyond West Beach Parking Lot