[CT Birds] East Shore Park (Yellow Warbler), Lighthouse Pt (RH Woodpecker and hawks)

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 18:16:55 EDT 2009

On my way to Lighthouse Pt this morning I stopped in to East Shore
Park in New Haven. There were many Yellow-rumps and Palm Warblers
about, and among them were a pale Yellow Warbler, a Magnolia, 2
Blackpolls, and a Pine Warbler. There were 95 Laughing Gulls (all but
two were adults) roosting along the shore.

Lighthouse Point was very good today. I don't know the official
numbers but I think there were at least 800 raptors tallied including
triple-digit American Kestrels and a handful of Bald Eagles. About 50
Snow Geese were seen high overhead by one birder. An adult Red-headed
Woodpecker made an afternoon appearance. The passing Tree Swallows
contained 1 Cliff, 3+ Northern Rough-winged, and 1 Barn Swallow.
All-in-all a typically nice October day at Lighthouse.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT