[CT Birds] Stratford yard/woods

Brian Webster b.webster at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 9 11:05:24 EDT 2009

10/9, Stratford yard/woods (9:30-10:45a)-
(1) Swainson's Thrush
(5) Black-throated Blue Warblers (same spot for last 4 days)
(1) probable Nashville Warbler (too quick a look)
(8) Yellow-rumped Warblers
(1) Palm Warbler (yellow, on a dirt pile in the middle of nowhere)
(2) Ruby-crowned Kinglets
(1) Carolina Wren
(1) Winter Wren
(6) Waxwings
(1) Osprey fly-over
I obviously have no way of knowing, but it seems a group of BTBs are having trouble leaving.  There have been 2 young'uns, 2 adult males, and an adult female seen for 3 days in a row.  I have the same feeling about the Winter Wren.  Everytime I see a Winter wren I can't get over how small they are.  I saw this one going in between logs in a log pile, in a spot where a Chipmonk couldn't fit.  They've evolved perfectly for their purpose.
There is a very tangled area in which a stream runs through, where a few different species of bushes have lots of berries... this area has been very productive over the last 4-5 days.  Specifically for the Thrushes and Waxwings.
-Brian Webster-
Stratford, CT
b.webster at hotmail.com