[CT Birds] Mlf Pt Sharp-taileds, shorebirds

Stephen Spector charsjs at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 9 17:45:55 EDT 2009

>From Steve Spector:
9/10/09 -- Milford Point, CACC and Francis St spit area, 2:30-4:30 PM -- This afternoon the area around the CACC had abundant sparrows, including White-crowned, White-throated, Song, Savannah, Marsh, Field, E. Towhee, Swamp, Dark-eyed Junco.  Very high tide seemed to have pushed the Sharp-tailed Sparrows out of the water-surrounded Spartina and into the grasses on the beach where they were popping up in numbers: I counted at least 12 Sharp-tailed Sparrows, mainly Nelson's but at least 2 Saltmarsh.  Also going through the grasses and goldenrod were many Yellow-rumped and Palm Warblers.  On the Francis Street spit were 4 Am Oystercatchers, 40 Dunlin, 30 Semipalmated Plovers, 15 Semipalmated Sandpipers, and about 250 Sandlerlings (one Sanderling with a blue-green coded flag on each leg, was flushed by an immature Peregrine Falcon just as I was getting close to reading the flag's letters).