[CT Birds] Allen's Meadows - Grasshopper Sparrow and usuals

streatham2003 at aol.com streatham2003 at aol.com
Fri Oct 9 19:02:06 EDT 2009

Hi All,

Didn't quite make it to Sherwood for the interesting sounding Marsh Wren but a dying light tour of Allen's Meadows (5:30-6:30pm) produced a decent sparrow haul including 3 White-crowned and 4 Lincoln's. Highlight was the Grasshopper Sparrow (only second record for Allen's for me personally) that flushed up for a couple of seconds - giving good views but then was flushed by a Savannah and refused to reappear. I have a walk tomorrow at Greenwich but there are many many sparrows there today and it might be worth a check in the morning if you are in the area. The Grasshopper was in the miniature dirt mound area behind the community gardens.

Luke Tiller, Wilton
www.underclearskies.com