[CT Birds] LPP Friday

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 19:02:36 EDT 2009

10/09 - Lighthouse Point Hawkwatch - Cloudy, sometimes rainy conditions with
wind out of the South.  44 Diurnal Raptors counted:  9 Osprey, 5 No.
Harriers, 4 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 2 Cooper's Hawks, 13 American Kestrels, 7
Merlin's and 4 Peregrine Falcons.
Some small migrants, but not many--including 111 Cedar Waxwings, 102
Red-winged Blackbirds, 242 Tree Swallows, 1 Bobolink.  I also reported a
Cliff Swallow from yesterday, seen by Nick Bonomo.
We had a visit from a Mass Audubon group on its way to Hawk Mountain, and
with all those good eyes in the park we had Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos,  Savannah, Chipping, Field, Swamp and Song
Sparrows, the Belted Kingfisher patrolling the perimeter, the usual
suspects, and a Mute Swan flyover.  How do they do it with those long necks?
Many thanks to Steve Mayo and Ralph Amodei for braving the lousy weather
report to come and count!

--
Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where
she may lay her young, at your altars, O LORD of hosts, my King and my God.
 Happy are those who live in your house, ever singing your praise."    Psalm
84:3-4