[CT Birds] LPP Friday

Dana Campbell dana.l.campbell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 19:02:36 EDT 2009

10/09 - Lighthouse Point Hawkwatch - Cloudy, sometimes rainy conditions with
wind out of the South.  44 Diurnal Raptors counted:  9 Osprey, 5 No.
Harriers, 4 Sharp-shinned Hawks, 2 Cooper's Hawks, 13 American Kestrels, 7
Merlin's and 4 Peregrine Falcons.
Some small migrants, but not many--including 111 Cedar Waxwings, 102
Red-winged Blackbirds, 242 Tree Swallows, 1 Bobolink.  I also reported a
Cliff Swallow from yesterday, seen by Nick Bonomo.
We had a visit from a Mass Audubon group on its way to Hawk Mountain, and
with all those good eyes in the park we had Yellow-bellied Sapsucker,
Blue-headed and Red-eyed Vireos,  Savannah, Chipping, Field, Swamp and Song
Sparrows, the Belted Kingfisher patrolling the perimeter, the usual
suspects, and a Mute Swan flyover.  How do they do it with those long necks?
Many thanks to Steve Mayo and Ralph Amodei for braving the lousy weather
report to come and count!

Dana Campbell, Priest in Charge
Church of the Good Shepherd, Hartford
dana.l.campbell at gmail.com

"Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where
she may lay her young, at your altars, O LORD of hosts, my King and my God.
 Happy are those who live in your house, ever singing your praise."    Psalm