[CT Birds] Fairfield-Sherman Birds

Alexander Burdo alexanderburdo at mac.com
Sat Oct 10 09:21:09 EDT 2009

In between rain showers I walked over to Sherman School in Fairfield.
I have seen great birds there in the past-when the fields flood it is
a haven for shorebirds and waterfowl. In the fall the marsh is a
sparrow magnet.

10/9-1:45-2:45-
Roger Sherman School Marsh and Field-Highlights-
3 Lincoln's Sparrow
5 Eastern Phoebe
8 Swamp Sparrow
3 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
1 Female Indigo Bunting
1 Blackpoll Warbler

10/10-7:45-8:30
1Roger Sherman School Marsh and Field Highlights-
1 Lincoln's Sparrow
1 House Wren
2 Common Yellowthroat
10 Swamp Sparrow
3 Savannah Sparrow
4 Eastern  Phoebe
1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker

 From Alex Burdo
10/9/09 -- Fairfield, Roger Sherman School Field and Marsh -- 3
Lincoln's Sparrow

 From Alex Burdo
10/10/09 -- Fairfield, Roger Sherman School Field and Marsh -- 1
Lincoln's Sparrow

The three Yellow-bellied Sapsuckers were the biggest surprise of all!
I could not believe it when I saw 3 in the same tree!
The House Wren seems late-haven't seen one in a few weeks.
On the 9th I thought I had a Clay-colored for a minute but the bird
took flight and I wasn't able to relocate it.

This place is terrific! Every time I go I see great birds!

Alex Burdo
Fairfield