[CT Birds] Southport Survey #198

Dennis Varza dennisvz at optonline.net
Sat Oct 10 16:14:50 EDT 2009

Southport Survey # 198
When I arrived at Sunken Island the waves were breaking over it and a
bunch of Laughing Gulls were flying over it. I thought the turbulence
attracted the birds looking for food. As it turned out, when the
rocks became exposed the birds landed. Then they were joined by the
Bonaparte’s Gull. Otherwise off shore there was the occasional
cormorant and a fly-by Common Loon. The turnstones seems to be on
their way to Penfield Reef. The Golf course had few people and so
some birds. There was 2 Kestrels flying about, and 2 Eastern
Meadowlarks. I don’t recall ever seeing Meadowlarks on the course
before. Again, the killdeer were on the flats of Southport Harbor.
The Oystercatchers were at Penfield Beach.

Dennis Varza
Fairfield

DATE	9/26	10/1	10/6	10/10
Tide	High	High	Low	Low