[CT Birds] Boothe Park Hawks 10/10

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 20:01:43 EDT 2009

It was an odd day that turned out well here at Boothe Park in Stratford.
Kestrels were the main story, but I was able to pick up an adult NORTHERN
GOSHAWK that flew by relatively low and close to the northwest in the 1-2
hour. The hour accounted for about half of today's accipiters. We had many
birds coming in low offering fantastic looks. Some were able to soar higher
later in the afternoon once the sun finally emerged.

There were about 7 hours of observations, and half of that time was me
alone. Charlie Barnard and Frank Mantlik observed as well. We had 48 species
just at the site (without walking around the park). While our totals
continue to be good, I can only imagine how many more raptors we'd get with
the number of people that help out at somewhere like Lighthouse!

As a side note, the radar is showing very heavy migration across the region
right now - get out there early tomorrow. There will be many new birds

Raptor migrants:
8 Turkey Vulture
28 Osprey
1 Bald Eagle