[CT Birds] owls

Boletebill boletebill at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 10 20:04:38 EDT 2009

Tonight, in my backyard in Lyme, the classic, hyper-active, strident dueling calls of two Barred owls. A little farther off the long monotonous trill of a single Screech owl.  And across the pond the low hoots of a Great Horned. A three-fer.

In the Spring and early Summer my backyard Screech owl gave short trills and the whinny call,  The short trills went up and down in pitch for the most part. Now in the Fall, the past few nights, the Screech owl trills for 50 to 70 seconds at a time.  Takes a 10 second break and starts again. The trills are completely without change in tone or pitch.  Is this typical?  Are there Spring and Fall Screech owl calls?

Bill Yule