[CT Birds] Where Have They Gone?

Sunshine sunny19682 at comcast.net
Sun Oct 11 09:27:45 EDT 2009

I know there is generally a lull this time of year as pointed out but to be
honest - this is ridiculous.  To not hear or see one single solitary bird is
beyond comprehension considering all the years I've been watching my yard
and noting birds visiting the feeders on a very regular basis for years.
Sure, I get slow times around now as birds migrate and has been discussed -
but to not see or hear one bird at all has been alarming.  I mean there are
food sources in the neighborhood but it's literally been silent here when
there's been in the past at least some auditory information gathered that
birds are present and simply not using the feeders.  Shouldn't we at least
hear some birds foraging?

Could there be a major die-off that happened, or was it truly a poor
breeding season considering all the rain?  I guess we should stock up on
feeder food to support those who survived to try to keep them healthy
through the lean winter months.