[CT Birds] Where Have They Gone?

Jim Zipp jimzipp at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 11 12:39:03 EDT 2009

Not a year has gone by in the last 15 years where some people
come into or call us at The Fat Robin asking us where their birds are.
This year is does seem to be a bit more widespread than usual but I
don't believe there is a shortage of birds in general.  We have
boatloads of sparrows etc but all are feeding happily on weed seeds etc
but few are coming to our feeders for instance. Take a walk in the woods and unlike last fall you
will see a huge crop of acorns, seeds and nuts of all kinds.

We do have our usual Cardinals etc but not as many as usual.  Goldfinch
and Woodpeckers are plentiful at the feeders to keep us entertained
until the others return more regularly to the feeders as well.  I
wouldn't worry that there has been some sort of catastrophic event, in
fact I think it's a great year for the birds with so much food around
even if it's not the best for us seeing them outside our windows.  I
suspect it won't be long before they are back to the feeders.

No matter what though it will seem quieter than last winter when Carol and I hosted up to 400 Pine Siskins for few months!

Jim

The Fat RobinWild Bird and Nature Shop
3000 Whitney Ave.  Hamden, CT 06518
www.fatrobin.com