[CT Birds] Redhead and Barred Owl

eyeflight16 at optonline.net eyeflight16 at optonline.net
Sun Oct 11 15:33:35 EDT 2009

I just came back from a wonderful birding weekend in Vermont, and saw some nice birds, including a gray cheeked thrush which was a lifer for me. Anyway, on Saturday night, I went outside and gave some Barred Owl calls hoping to bring one in, and out of nowhere I heard a huge bang to my left and saw a lampost not ten feet away from me completely broken and a Barred Owl flying off into the night. It scared the heck out of me, but I was worried about the owl. What could have possibly caused this? I belive the barred owl flew into the lampost, because when I looked over I saw it take off from the ground. The lampost was shining through the dark, so how could the owl possibly have missed it and flown right into it? Was it maybe trying to attack me because I was in its territory and got blinded by the light?

Also, at the Mackenzie Reservoir in Wallingford, 1 female Redhead in with the Canada Geese.

James Randall