[CT Birds] Lighthouse Point Park Sunday October 11

Steve Mayo rsdmayo at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 11 18:20:19 EDT 2009

We had 233 hawks on moderate West and Southwest winds and 10-30% cloud cover.  2 fly-over (heard only) DICKCISSEL, a YB Sapsucker and a couple of late(r) migrants (No. RW Swallow, Bk & Wh Warbler, RT Hummingbird).  Lighthouse is an original Bird Watcher's Digest "Big Sit!" location.  We were busy with the hawks but we managed a modest 52 species.

Unofficial results for yesterday (10/10/09) were a very impressive 888 hawks.  The winds built/shifted to strong NW mid-morning and the hawks, began pouring through immediately.  We continue to have a strong American Kestrel flight.  Good news.

Steve Mayo
Bethany