[CT Birds] Milford Point Big Sit results Oct 11

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 11 20:56:05 EDT 2009

Patrick & Jim Dugan, Tina Green, and I conducted our annual Big Sit today (Oct 11) at Milford Point (4:15 am to 7:00 pm). Clear weather (45-62 degrees) and great visibility, along with unrelenting (nw-w) winds helped contribute to a respectable total of 93 species.  Highlights included Red-throated & Common Loons, 1 AMERICAN BITTERN, a black duck sporting a radio transmitter (likely a DEP study), American wigeons, 1 NORTHERN SHOVELER, 1 NORTHERN PINTAIL, surf and white-winged scoters, red-breasted merganser,  10 species of raptors including 6+ BALD EAGLES and 2-3 PEREGRINES, 10 species of shorebirds including 2 WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPERS, 1 Bonaparte's Gull, 1 CHIMNEY SWIFT (tardy), Gray-cheeked, Swainson's & Hermit Thrushes, 1 VESPER SPARROW, Nelson's & Salt-marsh Sparrows, 2 Eastern Meadowlarks, 1 RUSTY BLACKBIRD, and a few PINE SISKINS.

Frank Mantlik