[CT Birds] Barnacle Goose and Whirlwind Hill rd/Mckenzie Reservoir

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Mon Oct 12 15:25:14 EDT 2009

I took a ride to Durham this am to try for the Barnacle goose,  only to
find that neither it nor any other waterfowl were in the vicinity of
Greenbacker Family Farm.
I headed  down to Whirlwind Hill Rd in Wallingford to  check the farm
fields and Mckenzie Reservoir.  There was a limited number  of Canada Geese in
the fields but no sign of the Barnacle Goose.  I found  something that I had
not expected however - a mostly empty  reservoir.    I have not seen this
mentioned, but Mckenzie was  drained this year to dredge out the silt, and the
work still goes on in the  smaller pond north of W H Road.  I'm afraid that
does not augur well for  birds in that vicinity this year, as it looks like
the job won't be finished any  time soon and it will take a while to re-fill
the lakes.
At Pistapaug Pond, to the east, however, I did find a few  ducks:
15 Ruddy Ducks
4   (presumed Lesser) Scaup
Both firsts for me this fall.
Light was bad and it's hard to get a good view through the  fence and the
Don Morgan