[CT Birds] Where Have They Gone?

recoverywing at cox.net recoverywing at cox.net
Mon Oct 12 18:50:21 EDT 2009

CT Birders -

 I am absolutely not seeing a lull at the feeders or anywhere on the sanctuary. There are birds everywhere!

Today's notables are -

PURPLE FINCH - at feeder (1st of the fall)
HOUSE FINCH - 50 +(emptying my feeders!)
DARK EYED JUNCO - at feeder (1st of the fall)
EASTERN PHOEBE - 2
CHIPPING SPARROWS - 25+
AMERICAN ROBINS - 20
YELLOW RUMPED WARBLERS - 2 at waterfall
GOLDEN CROWNED KINGLET
RUBY CROWNED KINGLET - 2
EASTERN TOWHEE
GRAY CATBIRD
SWAMP SPARROW
WHITE THROATED SPARROWS - 5 at feeders
SONG SPARROW - 2 at feeder
COMMON RAVEN - 2 flyover
CEDAR WAXWINGS- 5
EASTERN BLUEBIRD - 12 at mealworm feeder( all over the boxes last few days)

Had a PINE WARBLER yesterday that was foraging in the grass next to the waterfall with two yellow rumps!  First time I have ever seen one on the ground.

I learned a new call of the e. towhee, I kept hearing this buzzy  high call and finally found a female plumaged towhee. I looked it up in Sibleys and it describes it as a flight call. This bird was either foraging or perching, definitely not flying! :)))  she spent several days here before moving on and I heard it each day she was hear. Pretty cool!

 For Roy --
>From Jayne Amico:
10/12 ---  Southington MVSSanctuary --- Pair of COMMON RAVENS flyover, PURPLE FINCH

Jayne Amico/Southington