[CT Birds] Bluff Point Groton 10/14/09

David F Provencher david.f.provencher at dom.com
Wed Oct 14 10:46:45 EDT 2009

A good sparrow flight at Bluff Point in Groton today. Sparrow morning flight at Bluff is very difficult to work as the birds shoot through low and fast. Still it is something fascinating to watch. I birded from 06:40 till about 08:30 and left many birds still there. I would suggest checking sparrow habitat today if you get the chance. The highlights;

Merlin (1)
Northern Flicker (30)
Eastern Phoebe (15+)
Red-eyed Vireo (1)
Blue-headed Vireo (8)
Winter Wren (2)
Golden-crowned Kinglet (50+)
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (25+)
Hermit Thrush (15)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (300+)
Black-throated Green Warbler  (1)
Palm Warbler (20+)
Blackpoll Warbler (7)
Common Yellowthroat (4)
Scarlet Tanager (2)
Eastern Towhee (6)
Chipping Sparrow (10+)
Song Sparrow (10)
Swamp Sparrow (12)
White-throated Sparrow (500+)
White-crowned Sparrow (1 imm)
Dark-eyed Junco (200)
Indigo Bunting (2)
Unidentified sparrows (no doubt mostly W-throateds, very conservatively estimated at 500+)

Dave Provencher
Naturally New England<http://naturallynewengland.blogspot.com/>

in error, and delete it.  Thank you.