[CT Birds] Fallout at Birdcraft!

Kathy Van Der Aue kvda at optonline.net
Wed Oct 14 11:41:51 EDT 2009

Banding has been relatively slow to date but, today we had a fallout.  We
opened the nets at 7:00 a.m. and by the time we had them all open we had to
close them because there were so many birds we had run out of bags!  Most
were WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS but other species banded were SWAMP SPARROW,
SONG SPARROW, EASTERN TOWHEE, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, HERMIT THRUSH,
SWAINSON'S THRUSH, YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER, AMERICAN ROBIN.  The trees were
just dripping with birds and I know there are mixed warbler flocks but, we
ran out of bags and weren't able to capture any more birds.  On a personal
note, I've had several WINTER WRENS in my vegetable garden which,
fortunately for them, is overrun with weeds.

Kathy Van Der Aue, Southport, CT
kvda at optonline.net