[CT Birds] SWAINSON'S HAWK & more Boothe Park hawkwatch

Scott Kruitbosch kbosch at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:30:28 EDT 2009

The incredible inaugural season continued at Boothe Park today. Charlie
Barnard, Brian Webster, and myself each spent the better part of 5 hours and
25 minutes watching the skies. It started with the third GOLDEN EAGLE this
week picked up by the third different observer. We also had 2 NORTHERN
GOSHAWKS, one just before 11 and another around 2:30. 2 YELLOW-BELLIED
SAPSUCKERS continued at the site.

At 2:10 we had several raptors flying directly overhead at a moderate
height. Thankfully a few of them circled just under sun for us for a couple
minutes. One was a dark juvenile Swainson's Hawk. The instant one looked up
one could see it was a buteo and be overwhelmed by the distinct wing
size/profile. It was remarkable. You could even see some of the general
tones on the wings with bins. Fortunately Charlie got a scope on it quickly
and got all of the details to verify it, from the specific coloration on the
wings all the way to the tail.

We're all in agreement that being on the Housatonic River is helping us with
eagles - I can't wait to see how many of each species we will see this fall.
We still need more coverage and more observers.

Raptor migrants:
50 Turkey Vulture
1 Osprey
9 Bald Eagle
2 Northern Harrier
80 Sharp-shinned Hawk
27 Cooper's Hawk
2 NORTHERN GOSHAWK
8 Red-shouldered Hawk
1 SWAINSON'S HAWK
23 Red-tailed Hawk
1 GOLDEN EAGLE
5 American Kestrel
3 Merlin
1 Peregrine Falcon
1 Accipiter
2 Buteo
8 Raptor
TOTAL - 224

Other migrants:
205 Canada Goose
4 Mallard
15 Double-crested Cormorant
29 Tree Swallow

 From Scott Kruitbosch, Charlie Barnard, & Brian Webster:
10/14/09 - Stratford, Boothe Park -- 1 dark juvenile SWAINSON'S HAWK, 1
GOLDEN EAGLE, 2 NORTHERN GOSHAWK, 2 YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKER.

--
Scott Kruitbosch
Connecticut Audubon Society
kbosch at gmail.com